The following is 20 minutes (or two pages) of free-writing I did this morning... on the subject of free-writing
The rules of free-writing
- You either write for a set number of pages or to a set time
- You write in long-hand
- You write whatever thoughts glide through your mind without stopping
- You don't worry about spelling, grammar or punctuation
- You keep your hand moving all the time.
So what's the deal with Morning Pages?
Further drivel on free-writing
More on the joys of mechanical pencils
Some ways to use free-writing
- Get to know your characters voice by writing a journal entry from their perspective, or, writing a letter from them to you.
- Discover their character arc by putting 'I want...' and writing for a few minutes, then, 'But I really need...' and writing for a few more minutes.
- Write your way out of the problem you or your character are trying to solve, e.g. 'I've been backed into an alleyway by a pack of rabid dogs and there is no way out so I...'